Saturday, February 03, 2007

Of friendships and Orkut

When I initially started writing this blog it was just for me. I wrote what came to my mind and it was an exhilarating experience. But the moment people started commenting on it, I felt wary. I felt responsible. There were expectations, demands and judgments. As long as this was about me, I was unfettered. The moment I connected it to people, I felt restrained.

Society is important in that it forces us to exercise some basic restraint when dealing with other people. This is what makes a community function and is important.

And so we make a compromise. And we stifle our imagination. We create imaginary boundaries. And we concur. Somewhat. We all do. Humans are amazingly receptive. We concur without realizing that we are. Every time....everywhere.

But enough of this. This blog is about Orkut, or should I say about Orkut and well meaning prospective friends...with the likes of whom we are supposed to tread on "rocky roads of friendships"..or “stormy seas??” depending on preference.

So u have people coming to your scrapbook and posting a "hai!!!!!how hv u bin?"..with other innovative variants of the English language...and color codes..so that u have fluorescent looking blobs..in place of strategic letters..(its a gud tactic, if ur not too sure of the spelling..kudos!!!), and whilst u blink trying to recollect when u met venkatesh or is it chiranjeevi?? or rajnikanth last, complete with sunglasses of shades which merge successfully with skin tones...

Whilst u do that…there would be another epistle from some cOoLDuDe(is this some kinda secret code??) ABC with a "lonely and depressed" or a "waiting for love" or some such declaration trailing after this Morse coded name….announcing "myself ABC..friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddzzzzzzzzzzzz"..with a determination designed to make u notice, if at least the irritating scrollbar which appears when the zzzzzzz's are stretched to infinity!!!!

Or you would have this taciturn dude who plainly believes that brevity is the soul of wit (or a hit?? depending on short term goals)..

So every time u refresh your page there would be a "hi"...and then another...and after a few hi's floating around your page, u would find him getting restive and there would be the last determined effort which would be a "hiiiiiiiiiiii".Talk about words filled with meaning!!!

Some domineering ones would also demand "why you not RePlY me!!" and end the scrap with a "keeeeeeeeep scrapppppppppppppin''..which makes you wonder if an MPD(multiple personality disorder for the uninitiated ) might not just be more common than actually believed.

Since my imaginary boundaries are screaming a red alert at this point, I shall clarify here that I think Orkut is a great way to make friends and keep in touch...and discover people with similar interests, these are just random occurrences and are NOT meant to deride anyone…and the bottom-line, these are after all just my thoughts… so peace..

So anyway, back to business :D..and again if u happen to be a presentable looking female..u would be flooded with "u luks lOvElY"( again a coded message which I am sure is a word filled with meaning and implications;)..if I can just read between the umm..caps locks??)

or a drawing of a questionable chick??duck??rose??..an entire farmhouse..with a greeting.."for my most sweeeeeeeeetttttttttessssssst best friend"..ok..this dude sure doesnt have too many expectations from life!!!! or from the more emotional ones.."myself XYZ..will u JOIN with me??"..umm join with u??this early?this has to be one presumptuous guy!!!!

Another class are the "wanderers", people who just "pass through" your profile on an average of 8 times a day..They would go "Hai(ok this is one version of the greeting which never caught one with me)..how HAVE u been?was just passing thru" and u would wonder at the description of your profile as a stop over on the road to.."higher profiles?"

So u decide that you have had all the well wishes to last u a lifetime, and u cordon off ur profile with a "private property..DO NOT trespass"(read..I DO NOT add people i dont know..or make friends with them), u would then be paid a visit by the "Thinkers".

It is the lot of the thinkers to gently advise people trespassing from the "all encompassing love" of their friendships" with aphorisms.

So u are flooded with metaphysical queries.."If u don't add people u don't know..how wud u know them??"
Now this is a vicious cycle..a question comparable to the proverbial chicken and the egg theory and my mortal unfriendly brain really cant come up with a solution!!!

And so we create boundaries…and then we try to digress..all of us..sometime or the other…and then people mock us, question us…and some of us conform…


30 comments:

Unknown said...

hi great writing. really food for thought. You have a cool blog here.

Pradeep

Anshuman said...

Ah Orkut tales!

May I present a selected collection of 'anonymous' Orkut escapades, courtesy some of my lady friends who have generously forwarded these to me (ofcourse I insisted :-D ) :

(1) Guys & Girls & Orkut - Part 1

(2) Guys & Girls & Orkut - Part 2

*-*-*

The moment I connected it to people, I felt restrained
-- Long long back, I was blissfully unaware of the perils of 'being-connected', until one fine day, while talking to my li'l school going sister on phone, I got a jab in the form of a sentence, which she had picked up from a somewhat scandalous/mischievous post of mine.
Imagine the sudden realisation, that its not only friends who are reading the blog, but also a mole-at-the-faraway-home! Sheez I can no longer openly rebel (and discuss!) against people at home ;-D

Namrata Mishra said...

thnks pradeep:)..and ur rite anshuman..I am trying to keep this blog secret frm my family:D..it can cramp u a bit:)

bhargava said...

wow...good way of presenting. However I was wondering how do strangers interact. I concur with you that having a fair skin does attract some eyeballs but can you escape it?

I would like to say that your writing style is commendable too.

uh oh..now this text seems like ur comments on the orkut stuff.. Cant help this thing that I have started..

keep bloggin..glad to know your feelings!!

Lavnish said...

Hi
nice piece of writing ... i agree with you it happens ... most of us experienced that ... BUT it all depends on how one uses technology....
talking of me i got in touch with many of my Jr school friends .. after almost 10 yrs ... thanks to orkut .. Dont have words to express how it felt when i met them

"Strange case "... One of my friends who believes in arrange marriage.. When he got a proposal it struck him and he looked for the girl in orkut .. only to discover that she is already commited and her family is not ready to accept the relationship...
;o)
talk about INNOVATIVE uses of technology ... but he was saved ... thanks to orkut again :D :D

Unknown said...

Hmmm..., you don't disappoint :) As I said at your last entry, I was eagerly waiting for you to post. And well, you delighted me once again. And apparently a whole lot of other people too :)

Don't let all the attention faze you. As they say, dance like no one's watching ;)

Anshuman said...

@ N
yeah it can 'clamp' you.. and in some cases, might fetch a rap-on-the-knuckles over a STD call from home ;-D

Sunshine said...

hmmmm...u sound bit cynical this time...we r social creatures aftr all, longing for affection and attntion - some more, some less, isn't it? mayb i meet some ppl in college or office, and make frnds, then i may meet some at a party and we become frnds, and these days meet some at orkut! i'll agree though, tht in this evolution process the friendship playground has expanded, and so has the need to be wary and cautious.

i say tht becos i'v made some very good frnds over orkut i've never even met...and yet we share a part of our lives so freely.

on feeling 'restrained'--yes, i felt tht once, coz all i wntd was to put down wht i feel smwhere on the board,and within smwhere, i wntd smone to read it, and at the same time did'nt want neone to read it as well!!!
...bt i care no more now...i am wht i am...do i hv a choice,or need one?

pls never restrain urself, u'v gt a talent, let it flow, let ppl connect to it.

Mathan said...

Hey there Ms. Namrata. Mathan from Malaysia here. An ISB Class of 2008 R1 admit.
Love your writing. Would like to link your blog to mine. Nothing special about my blog btw. Just an outlet for my thoughts.
My blog is http://vishuddha.blogspot.com

PS: Do join the Class of 2008 Blogging space!!~

Mathan said...

Hey there Ms. Namrata,

Mathan here from Malaysia. ISB R1 Class of 2008.

Love your writing style. Would like your permission to add your blog's link in mine. My Blog is http://vishuddha.blogspot.com.
Do have a look and feel free to comment. It's just a casual blog for me to vent my thoughts.

PS: I'll see if your name could be added to the contributors' list for our collaborative blog "ISB Space..."

Arun said...

Nice article! And a timely one at that.. I must say that orkut has paved way for the evolution of the english language to a different level altogether, to the extent that I have started imagining phrases such as 'would u like to make friendship with me'as being gramatically correct ! :-) I must say that ur prose comes much as a respite amidst the poor quality of literature that seems to be churned out each day on most blogs (I am completely aware that mine might just be one among them ;-) ).More than just talent, I guess it takes intent to indulge in creating a good article!Kudos!:-)

Namrata Mishra said...

Thnks a lot ppl for the comments...yes mathan I wud love to join the collaborative blog..how do I do dat?..n for the rest I wud post personal replies in a bit,..currently swamped with resigning n all:)..yay!!!
thnks a lot tho fr all the encouragement!!!

Unknown said...

Resigning? Looks to me like someone's going to school again :) Well, have lotsa fun :) Best of luck

Lavnish said...

paaglon ka koi gaaon nahi hua karta
dhoonde se kahi bhi (orkut) mil jaate hai
...

Stargazer said...

Make suer your blog is your own. It's a reflection of who you are. The minute you let the expectations rule what you write, it stops being you, it becomes some quasi-you that is partly you and partly the numerous people who read your blog.
As for the orkut scraps - one of my favourites would have to be - 'you look horsome'
I couldn't figure out if it was an insult or a compliment.

Naresh said...

I had just the time to go thru your writeup on 'orkut' and must admit it was too good.
good work and must read...

Naresh said...

I had just the time to go thru your writeup on 'orkut' and must admit it was too good.
good work and must read...

Unknown said...

HOHOHOHOHO...the very reason I stopped orkutting...hilarious.

Ravish said...

i was trying to figure out which category I am in..but I think that you forgot to mention few of them...perhaps I belong to one of those...

anyway, nice post...

Cheers,

Namrata Mishra said...

hey stargazer...yea..tht comment is for keeps..i got one which said,...u look "loving"..ummm..but keep visiting:)

Namrata Mishra said...

hey pratyush..thnks fr the comment!!!Appreciate it:)

maninthemirror said...

hey.. very nice one.. :).. you have that sarcastic laid-back kinda writing ( dont take it wrong ).. just the way you are.. ;).. bTw.. uR bLOg loOkS gOoD.. WaNnA FraanDShiP.. :-P

Unknown said...

ahem ahem... do what i told all the other other 'girls' i knew to do...

remove all pictures. Put a flower... the number of 'wanderers and suchlike will drop like flies'

Tried and tested! 100% Frieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeendz proof!

da...

maximus said...

ha ha, it was funny. You sure have a blog page that's thought provoking.

lavesh said...

Wow, I could not but control my laughing when I was reading this line "Haihow HAVE u been?was just passing thru" and u would wonder at the description of your profile as a stop over on the road to.."higher profiles?"
".
This was the funniest among all of the blogs. And then the way I reached ur profile (or someone else would ) was by some chance. (I was going through a profile of a friend).
And I was with trying to find out in which category do I lie :)
Good work.

nano said...

hey am surprised and same time felt guilty.so much research about personality traits at this young age .keep it up.am saying coz am a doc and never thought of all these types.ha.guilty coz who am i to tell u to smile in ur profile.any way whatever i felt i scribbled.all the best.bye

APOORV said...

really a nice one:)
srrrry to comment

Vivek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cruel Intentions said...

""So u are flooded with metaphysical queries.."If u don't add people u don't know..how wud u know them??"""

Reminds me of the Vicious Circle of The Dentists Drill I read somewhere long back!

But the one which I see developing right now is the one about reading your blog! The more you read, the you wan to read~!

Anonymous said...

The Juno B1 Cabin Suitcase glides on four precision-made
Hinomoto wheels (a company which, according to obsessive fliers, is
a standard-bearer of quality caster-making).
The thing is extraordinarily light at 5.3 pounds (the Rimowa analogue tips the scales at 7.1),
but feels shockingly sturdy; its speckled polypropylene shell is built to combat
and conceal obvious (but inevitable) scratches.
The suitcase also has a handy built-in lock, and indestructible
hard casing. But what I really love about it is how much I can fit.
Despite its tiny dimensions, which always fit into an overhead, I’ve been able to cram
in a week’s worth of clothes for a winter trip in Asia (thanks to clever folding), or
enough for ten summery days in L.A. It’s really the clown car of carry-on luggage.